Re: LYNX-DEV Re: 2.8pre.5: install-help

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: 2.8pre.5: install-help
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 21:08:35 -0500 (EST)

> > We could install the help-files gzip'd (lynx understands that - are there
> > any restrictions?).  That would be something for post-2.8, though, since
> > it'd involve some more script work.
>
> Yes!  I do this already for all files over 28kB, and that is the only reason
> I do not use the configure install-help target.  I did not recommend it be
> done to the distribution, however, because it seemed to me a lot of work
> if the names of the files were to change.  And, if they didn't change,
I guess that would be the approach: make the install-script modify the
names.  I'd only noticed a few months ago that Lynx reads .gz files
(but that's dependent on how the server's configured, right?).  I'm
surprised that NS & IE don't do that (wastes a lot of bandwidth, though
since they're wasting a lot on GIF files, I guess that can't be helped,
since those are already compressed _and_ bulky).

> wouldn't that mean that libz would HAVE to be compiled into Lynx, i.e., the
> whole library would have to be packaged in?  When you say "more script work",
> then you mean you would only gzip the files if the system were determined
> to have the capability to compress and then decompress them.  If so, I'm
> drooling as I wait for 2.9.
right - I'd have to do some tinkering in configure, and probably a support
script.  But that would cut down on the size of the help-files (so we can
write a lot more of them ;-).

> >> drop "samples/lynx.cfg" from the release
> >     (all in favor yell 'aye', all opposed 'nay').
>
> 100+ ``AYE''s!!!!! (my users and aye)
done: I've got a pending patch, and am trying to organize stuff for the
release page.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden