lynx-dev Zipped help (was Re: [2.8.1dev21] patch: Cosmetic changes to in

From: Michael Warner
Subject: lynx-dev Zipped help (was Re: [2.8.1dev21] patch: Cosmetic changes to internal pages)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 23:16:25 -0700

On Tue, Aug 25, 1998, Al Gilman <address@hidden> wrote:

> to follow up on what Michael Warner said:
>
> > In the ongoing battle against disk quotas, I gzip all the
> > help files and then go through and add ".gz" by hand to
> > the anchor URL's as needed.  Hence lynx won't find the
> > configured-in help-file URL's in my case.
>
> What if the gzipped help were a configure option?  You may not
> be the only person with a quota.

Sure.  If you could put the internal links in the "html.gz" form
via config option or whatever, then people could just specify
the proper HELPFILE URL in lynx.cfg, and grab a customized copy
of the helpfiles from the distribution page to substitute for
the regular one.  I'll donate a copy of my "zippified" help, if
somebody tells me how to most efficiently make it available.

This reminds of something I was wondering about concerning the
Win32 port.  A few months ago I tried out a copy, just to see
how it looked, and I believe the help filename extensions were
truncated to ".htm", but the helpfiles had the ".html" form in
the anchors.  Am I misremembering, or was that an aberration in
that version only, or is this another case where an alternate
version of the help files is needed?  Since I don't remember
seeing anyone complain about it on the list, I've got a feeling
it's probably just an operator malfunction on my part.

--
Michael Warner
<address@hidden>