Re: lynx-dev Permissions of files installed by install-doc

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Permissions of files installed by install-doc
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:38:13 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 address@hidden wrote:

> In a recent note, Thomas Dickey said:
>
> > Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:11:18 -0500 (EST)
> >
> > On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 address@hidden wrote:
> > > Worse yet, I do some installs on a system on which, because of a
> > > spoor-marking contest between the admins of the server and the admins
> > > of the client, I can "give away" files with "chown", then not chown
> > > them back, delete them, not modify them subsequently.
> >
> > I haven't seen one of those for a while.  Does it have 'id' (returning a
> > number), or are we stuck?
> >
> Yes, no.  But I consider that installation administratively
> broken, dysfunctional, and certainly won't hold you accountable
> for accommodating it.  And I haven't had the problem since I
> started using "pax" to unpack xterm.  Pax has options to control
> restoring owner and group.  I believe the default is, "don't
> restore".

I made a one-liner for the shell command that does the chown if uid=0.
But I seem to recall some platform where 'id' output is not useful
(can't remember which one).  At worst, it'll write some error messages
to the log and not fix the permissions.  (But you'll have the option
to use pax throughout).

> > > Of course, the command syntax for "pax" is significantly different from
> > > that of "tar".
> >
> > Yes (I'm finding this - hadn't looked at pax for a long time, but
> > realizing that it is standard, have to include it).
> >
> > For lynx we only need the equivalents for
> >     tar xf -
> >     tar cf -
> >
> Pax has a copy mode; it can do both those in one operation,
> if that's what's required.

I see that, but fitting it into the existing structure isn't simple.
So I'm using (am testing) just the analogous write-archive-to-pipe
and read-archive-from-pipe operations.

(it requires some testing since the same program is used in the dired
mode).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net