m17n-list

Re: Request to add a new layout for Malayalam

From: Ajith R
Subject: Re: Request to add a new layout for Malayalam
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 04:01:37 +0000 (UTC)

Dear Mike,

> Great, thank you! I’ll try to make a new m17n-db release next week with
> your new input method.

That will be great! Thanks.

QWERTY the common system layout, for example, has a set of characters you get
by pressing the keys by itself and another by pressing shift/caps.

Malayalam has more than 100 unicode points. In the layout I submitted,
uncommonly used characters are not included. I was not sure how to include them
in my layout when the system layout has only the "unshifted" and "shifted"
plains / layers.

If the system layout has more than two such sets - one set of 'unshifted'
characters, another set of 'shifted' characters and an additional set of
characters you get by pressing a third level modifier (say the window key), can
ibus transform the characters you get when you press the third level modifier?
Say, I have a modified system layout which returns, say Greek characters when I
press the third level modifiers. Can I have ibus translate them to the
malayalam archaic characters ( which are not included currently)? This was what
I had in mind when I asked about support for more than two levels.

Though I don't understand the example
https://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/m17n/m17n-db.git/tree/MIM/bn-national-jatiya.mim
 completely, I think it implements most of the features I want in my pnC. A few
doubts -

1) In expressions like ((G-i) "ঽ") ; U+09BD BENGALI SIGN AVAGRAHA, what does
G-i without the quotes represent?
2) Can you please point me to the documentation of features ‌/commands like
variable, set, cond etc

Thanks,
Ajith

On Saturday, 4 November, 2023 at 03:55:30 pm IST, Mike FABIAN