m4-discuss

Re: Having Trouble with m4 Input (m4 version 1.4.13)

From: Tom Browder
Subject: Re: Having Trouble with m4 Input (m4 version 1.4.13)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 11:16:14 -0500

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 10:50, Gary V. Vaughan <address@hidden> wrote:
<lots of words>

Well, that all looks pretty clear.

> Hmm, I think you are considering using m4 *instead* of cpp, right?
> I'm sure that's possible too, though you would need to teach m4 to
> understand *all* of the directives supported by cpp, otherwise it

I have to say, though was that my initial excitement was the
avoid-multiple-reading-of-header-files possibility more than anything
else.  And that is still my interest (I see that is one of the
advertised niceties of the D language but converting from my C++
projects is not really practical).

Frankly, I have used Perl or Python for most of my code generation
aids.  My foray into m4 was to support auto-generation in the
autotools environment for an open source project outside my own
control.

>> Did you get to the Panhandle (sometimes called Lower Alabama:
> No further than Talahassee

Most folks outside Florida (specially the news media) seem not to be
familiar with the Panhandle--heck, folks from Tallahassee eastwards
aren't familiar with us (we are in the Central Time Zone which
probably doesn't help).

> to break up the miles of interstate on a trip from Lynchburg, TN

You mean Jack Daniel territory?  My son lives in Franklin, TN, and we
visited the Jack Daniel distillery early last year.  We took my then
6-year old granddaughter with us (the only child we saw) and she was a
hit.  She got to assist the tour guide illustrating the barrels, etc.,
and had a  great time although I don't think she ever understood what
the end product was.

When we got her home she told her mom something like "...it was like
any other factory, the workers all seemed happy and liked their jobs,
..." (she has never been in any other factory in her life!).

> The geography of Choctawhatchee Bay looks interesting... should I pencil
> in a visit for my next FL road trip?

Yes, definitely--and there's probably a cold beer around, too.

Cheers,

-Tom

Thomas M. Browder, Jr.
Niceville, Florida