mailman

Problem with pending emails - they seem to be let through after certain

From: Uwe Scholz
Subject: Problem with pending emails - they seem to be let through after certain amount of time?
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 23:00:24 +0100

Hi,

I have a strange problem with emails to gcmd-devel@nongnu.org. On this
list I am the list owner and I have added the email sender address
"gitlab-issues@gnome.org" to be held for moderation in the
"Privacy->Sender filters" section in the Admin panel. As far as I
understood, with this setting emails from "gitlab-issues@gnome.org" are
held until I as a list owner approve or deny the forwarding to the
distribution list.

Several times now it happened that an email is sent from
"gitlab-issues@gnome.org" to the email list and I am receiving the
notification email to approve or deny the email. But as I have been at
work today, I did not have the time to login into the admin panel of my
email list.

And now the strange thing happens: The email is sent to the gcmd-devel
list although I did literally nothing. When I came home today, I had
two emails in my inbox:

  1. One from the admin panel, prompting me to take care about the
  email from "gitlab-issues@gnome.org" AND

  2. The email from "gitlab-issues@gnome.org" which was forwarded
  already to the email distribution list gcmd-devel@nongnu.org.

Question: How can this be? Why is the email seemingly "auto-approved"
after some time, although the list owner (me) did nothing?

This happened all today with this email here:
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gcmd-devel/2021-03/msg00023.html
but it was not the first email where that happened.

Can anyone explain that to me?

Thank you very much
Uwe