[MIT-Scheme-devel] GTk+ in MIT-Scheme?

From: Matt Birkholz
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] GTk+ in MIT-Scheme?
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:50:37 +0100

> From: Matt Birkholz <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 22:36:32 +0100
>
> [...]
> I am not looking for compiled Scheme code to drive forms (labels,
> buttons, and all that) really really fast.  I want a fancier kind of
> Edwin window.  But the Gnome canvas looks a bit clunky for such a
> use.  I would hate to re-write all of the canvas's functionality in
> Scheme, or maybe... maybe I would LIKE it...

I heard a rumor someone was working on a Foreign Function Interface.
Does anyone want to 'fess up?  How about just a Foreign Struct
Interface?

Wrapping up GdkRectangle in 5 or 6 primitives was so much fun I had to
stop and consider writing a simple Foreign Struct Interface.  I did
that once years ago, but the grandiose object-oriented mess is on a
backup tape several thousand miles away, and it was, well, a mess.  I
just want a few primitives that take a foreign pointer and a member
offset and burp up a string/integer/float/pointer.  Maybe a nice
define-foreign-struct syntax too... not too small.  And with a white
picket fence around it??