Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] make-eq-hash-table

From: Chris Hanson
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] make-eq-hash-table
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 15:21:20 -0800

Now that Joe has "fixed" the handling of interned symbols, we should
address the more general problem that Taylor is concerned with.

The documentation clearly states that make-eq-hash-table returns a
weak table, and has so stated for a long time.  So it's not reasonable
to change the semantics overnight.  Here's what I propose:

* Add a new binding make-weak-eq-hash-table (and
make-weak-eqv-hash-table, which you haven't mentioned but which should
also be done).

* Change the documentation to recommend that programmers use the
explicit name to guarantee a particular semantics, and to warn that
make-eq-hash-table may change its semantics from weak to strong in the
future.

* Change our code base to use the explicit names in all cases.

* File a bug report, referring to or attaching this discussion.

* Optionally, add a compiler warning when make-eq-hash-table is used.

* Sometime down the road, in a couple of years, close the bug report
by making appropriate changes.

OK?