[Mldonkey-users] Heavy Problems Setting up

From: Olaf Bossen
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Heavy Problems Setting up
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 15:44:13 +0100

To whom it will make write back to me,

after trying to install mldonkey now for hours I hope someone can help me. I am running debian/stable 3.0 and I'd like to use mldonkey a the primary downloadingtool for our ADSL router, accesed through the/a web interface. I do not want to run a server, just a client. After unpackting the tarball of the 2.0 release I got a lot of nice files, but nothing like an auto installer. From here I'd like to get there:

the bins shall be in /usr/local/bin/
the config files in   /usr/local/etc/mldonkey/
the log.0 whatever it may be in /usr/local/var/

mldonkey is running as user mldonkey in group mldonkey with limited rights

the directories /nirvana/pub/mldonkey and /nirvana/mldonkey/incoming are shared
and nothing more!!!!

the only access method i am planning to use is the web interface from other hosts in the 192.168.* Network

I can't run the gui because i don't have an x server.

What i did so far
------------------
I created the mldonkey user account with adduser and set the ownership of the files I thought mldonkey would access.
I moved the mldonkey-blablah-2.0 directory to usr local
I edited the downloads.ini file to my best knowledge (I still don't get the fields thing: which fields expect what kind of values like [] "" <"" "">) created the /usr/local subdirectory structure moved the bins into ./bin and the *.ini to ./etc/mldonkey but symlinked it all back
made ./etc/mldonkey the home directory for mldonkey
"su"'d to mldonkey and ran ML donkey. And got

-----------snip-------------
Error loading /usr/local/etc/mldonkey/comments.met: Sys_error("/usr/local/etc/mldonkey/comments.met: No such file or directory") Error: Exception Sys_error("/usr/local/etc/mldonkey/shared_files.ini.tmp: Permission denied") during startup
Connection refused : connect
chat_app_host=localhost chat_app_port=5036
SHARING /nirvana/mldonkey/incoming
SHARING /
------------ snip -----------------

I aborted before the process terminates because mldonkey can't process /proc

Problems
-----------
The BIG ONE mldonkey tries to share / whatever I tell it luckiely that produces an error and I noticed early enough. I have no idea where mldonkey expects the files download.ini and the other *.ini so that i have hardlinks in all places beeing a logical choice to me.

btw: yes

       (* Directories where files will be shared *)
shared_directories = [/nirvana/pub/mldonkey /nirvana/mldonkey/incoming]

exists in downloads.ini and it is the only line like that.

How could you help me?
I know i am not to good at linux, but I guess i know most of the basics.
The easiest way to help me would be a .deb Package

Is there an explanation somewhere telling me how to setup (almost) exactly what I am planning to do?

Could you explain to me in parts what the *.ini files do, where and how, what privileges mldonkey needs, how to set up the environment correctly (especially the rights)

Thank you in advance for any replies, and if they just say "I'm feeling sorry"...

Olaf Bossen