[Mldonkey-users] Tuning for search for sources with large download queue

From: Matthias Witassek
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Tuning for search for sources with large download queues?
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 20:55:22 +0100

Hi,

with all my downloads active (= not paused) - which are about 300 - mldonkey is looking for sources almost all the time. As a result, download rate is very poor.

When pausing most of the files (let's say about 90%), the rates rise significantly. IIRC someone else posted similar experiences here earlier.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but limiting sources per file doesn't really work here, because: If the limit is 100 then mldonkey would still try to find 100*300 = 30000 sources. This search would take a huge amount of the available bandwith.

I see two workarounds for this:
1. Manually Pausing most of the files and everytime a download is finished, resume another.

2. Do this automatically. My idea here is: At startup mldonkey asks for sources for all files up to a certain limit of total found sources (user's choice). Now all files without sources are being paused. Everytime a download is finished, this procedure is repeated (obeying the min_reconnect settings).

Could this work?

--
Matthias Witassek     http://www.witassek.de/
GPG-ID: 1024D/0C76E72F

If Einstein Had Been Black It would be E=MC Hammer