Re: [Mldonkey-users] Tuning for search for sources with large download q

From: Neil Sedger
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Tuning for search for sources with large download queues?
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 02:15:55 +0000

Matthias Witassek wrote:

I've noticed the same.

At the moment I've paused all but 20 of my 241 downloads - leaving those with the greater % downloaded downloading. I do seem to be getting much better total download rate...

2. Do this automatically. My idea here is: At startup mldonkey asks for sources for all files up to a certain limit of total found sources (user's choice). Now all files without sources are being paused. Everytime a download is finished, this procedure is repeated (obeying the min_reconnect settings).

Could this work?

I think this would be a good thing to implement...
even if, as stated in a reply to this, that recent versions have lowered the amount of traffic per file, an intelligent pause/resume would still save traffic.

It would have to be slightly more intelligent though - e.g. if a rare chunk popped up it should resume that file. And it should probably go looking for rare chunks first, and maybe look again for those chunks every x minutes...

Cheers
Neil