[Mldonkey-users] Open to paches for a more complete overnet support ?

From: Norbert LATAILLE
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Open to paches for a more complete overnet support ?
Date: 04 Dec 2002 01:28:35 +0100

Hi,

I am looking at the overnet protocol since a few days, and I am working
on patches for :
a/ an improved peer discovery
b/ correct upload support
c/ mldonkey integration as an overnet peer (accepting publish opcodes
and peer searches)

However it raises a few questions :

- why has overnet support stopped in mldonkey ? Is there a political
reason behind this (apart from the lack of answers) ? What could be the
overnet-community reaction to a "more complete" overnet support in
mldonkey (which means more or less creating a bridge between the two
networks) ?

- is someone already working on a better overnet support ?

- I think that it would be wise to release such patches only when they
are protocol-correct and tuned. It could avoid being "banned" for having
disturbed the overnet protocol.

There is one point which still bother me in the current implementation :
the ability for a user to choose his MD4 peer address. As overnet is
"stateless" (important information, like routing tables and hash tables
are volatile and replicated between neighbours), there is no use being
able to restart with the same MD4 address. This is one big weakness of
the overnet protocol, and leaving this parameter could only lead some
malicous mldonkey users to choose their address (an for example being
responsible for the "DIVX" search).

Regards,

Norbert