Re: [Mldonkey-users] mldonkey may forward overnet locations to emul

From: René Gallati
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] mldonkey may forward overnet locations to emule
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 13:58:13 +0100

Hello,

> Looks like Emule has implemented source persistence and maybe source

Well when peers get queued they will try again after some time. They can't
magically know that person X has shutdown their [e|ml]donkey/mule. Also a
peer may have gotten many sources for a file and is only slowly trying to
contact some of those especially if his downstream is maxed. So they have an
IP and a port and full download and will therefor only try to acquire more
sources if his downstream drops.

P2P networks are quite inert, they have a huge "momentum" in regards to
changes within the net structure itself. Shutting down one program and
immediatly starting another of the same brand on the same port and then
wondering why they get connects simply show that those people have no idea
how networking actually works.

When I let a donkey-program run for approx. 1 day and then shut it down and
close the port in the firewall, I'll get hits for about 1.5 days longer
until it stops. IF you want to measure different clients you will need to
change ports for every programm or your figures will be skewed.

> propagation too... but why not an overnet-emule client ?

They call it "overmule" but they don't actually want to start on it, until
emule reaches 1.0. Considering there isn't much precise documentation about
overnet's inner working, that's not the worst idea since until then there
might be more concise docs around. (or a fully working open source
implementation in mldonkey :-) )

--

C U