Re: [Mldonkey-users] 2.00+3

From: Norbert Lataille
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] 2.00+3
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:34:09 +0100

> I tested it, and it seems to work correctly. The Overnet patch is a
> bit aggresive (lots of UDP packets sent), and its timers have been
> increased consequently (10s --> 60s).

Hi,

I am really happy that the overnet patch 1.0 got in, but I believe that
telling that this patch is aggressive is a bit unfair. In fact, I believe
this patch _less_ aggressive than the previous overnet behavior... Let me
explain why :

the overnet-patch1 changes the following things :
- fixes packets encoding/decoding, and adding new opcodes which enables us
to add the "overnet_publish=true" line
- adding a new peer storage system for the next features

but it does not change anything related to the search/publish system
behavior, nor the timings/aggressivity of the overnet search system. In
fact, the new peer system is less aggressive as the previous one as it does
no more keep a list of connected peers to test, but he only _if necessary_
sends 16 UDP packets every 2 minutes...

The real issue is that we are now adding "overnet_publish=true", it implies
that at boot-up (start+10s or start+60s - it won't change the bad behavior,
which is the originial one) mldonkey starts S*(K+1) searches, where S is the
nb of shared files, and K the number of keywords in file names. For 20
shared files and 5 keywords by filename, it implies 120 simultaneous
searches ! Moreover, I think that the overnet search system can be greatly
improved, and can be more bandwidth efficient.

I am currently working on overnet patch2, to avoid this bandwith hog:
- Proggressivly publish files (1 file is published every 2 minutes)
- Rework search/publish system to make it more efficient (shouldn't last so
long in a distributed hashtable environment to find the right peers).

Tell me what you think,

Norbert