Re: [Mldonkey-users] 2.00+3

From: Norbert Lataille
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] 2.00+3
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 11:37:35 +0100

> >  I am currently working on overnet patch2, to avoid this bandwith hog:
> >  - Proggressivly publish files (1 file is published every 2 minutes)
> >  - Rework search/publish system to make it more efficient (shouldn't
last so
> >  long in a distributed hashtable environment to find the right peers).
>
> Yes, good ideas. We are waiting for these new features :) Maybe you
> may want to join the developpers team one day for direct access to the
> CVS ?

As an observer of donkeybot / emule / edonkey wars with the edonkey
developpers, I _don't want_ mldonkey overnet implementation being blamed by
anyone for disturbing the network. This is the reason for my first message
on this list ("open to overnet patch ?"), and for example for the client_md4
random generation. I beleive that we can get a efficient and non-intrusive
complete overnet implementation, that's my _first_ goal :-)

I beleive that mldonkey has a great future, and I like the overlay network
idea. Like you, I think that before thinking to gain CVS access, a first
step would be to see if my work on overnet (in a coding style / algorithm
efficiency point of view) fits your needs.

> By the way, there were already errors introduced in the stats when
> pango's patch was applied (in fact, it could not be applied directly,
> so it was partially rewritten). It is the same for your patch (there
> were some changes in the overnet code preventing direct applying your
> patch), so maybe some errors were introduced.

For example, it seems that I non-intentionally removed the ip_black_list
test in overnet from pango's work. It is on my TODO list for patch3.

Norbert