[Mldonkey-users] pango20021208a better than 2.01

From: Roland Arendes
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] pango20021208a better than 2.01
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 21:07:37 +0100

hi,

 I switched back to mldonkey-pango20021208a.

 1)
 The upload rate is better with this version (better source
 management, and not every one hour complete network brakedown cause
 of "remove_old_clients"? Perhaps this is the discarded FIFO-Patch
 from Simon. Pango's code works MUCH better.
 (I mean the real data UL shown within the GUI, not the whole upstream
 traffic)

 2)
 The download-rate is better (at least for me) with pango. Perhaps
 because of the better source management (again the fifo patch?)

 3)
 The server list is again growing and max_server_age seems to be
 ignored with 2.01 (better with pango, list stays about ~2k Servers)

 4)
 The CPU load with pango is much lower, and the system is more
 responsive

 5)
 After stopping mldonkey 2.01 nearly all sources are bounced and not
 saved. The next start there are only a few (1-5% left).

I'll still test every new mldonkey which is out there. The 2.01 has
some interesting features (supernodes, overnet publishing and stuff), but
I hope it will implement the server and client management from pango, too.

The main reason why 2.01 behaves badly seems to be the behaviour of
the source management.
I can post a screenshot of ifmonitor if needed: At a regularly time
interval (about 1 hour), the whole donkey breaks down for about 5-6
Minutes (No upload, no download and massive cpu usage; and while this
the log is flooded with "Removing old source....". This sucks.
I'm bounced of all servers and clients that time. You can compare
it with a mldonkey restart every hour. Even telnet or the GUI
is not responsive in this time.

Has anyone made similar experiences?

I hope these (well tested) patches from pango will make it into the
official tree.

-Roland