Re: [Mldonkey-users] mailinglist-problems

From: Brett Dikeman
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 13:25:56 -0500

At 11:13 AM +0100 12/14/02, Alois wrote:

as the mailinglist-server of nongnu.org seems to be really slow

My experience thus far(last week or so) is to the contrary. Every message I've posted to the list thus far has been back in my mailbox within 5, 10 minutes tops. That's not exactly slow, speaking from experience as a listadmin of +7 years. It could be better, but for something that costs you nothing, I wouldn't complain.

Usually, mailing lists get out fast to (very roughly) +90% of the list; it's the remaining 10% that takes a while to get mail to either because their server is slow, not responding, or a DNS lookup failed, etc.

So far I've seen three complaints(out of 500 subscribers) and only one which cited actual headers(I didn't look closely, but that looked like a server hiccup where a message got stuck in the mailman queue. It happens).

I think it's time to switch to another server.

If you're having problems, communicate your concerns to the list admins, and let them handle it. I don't mean to be rude, but it's not your place to call for a move(unless I'm mistaken and you are one of the mldonkey project people.)

 Does anybody know any other server where you can open free mailing lists?

Not really. Mailing lists, particularly in bulk, need lots of processor, disk, and bandwidth...none of which are cheap, and the money's got to come from somewhere.

  The only alternative I'm aware of is Yahoo Groups, and be prepared to:

-sign up for a Yahoo account in order to be able to use it
-be inundated with advertisements while trying to surf the archives(they even redirect a certain percentage of hits to a page which ONLY displays an ad; you have to click on another link below the ad to actually see the message you wanted. Only Salon.com sinks that low, and they're going out of business anyway -be inundated with spam. Yahoo's privacy policy is a joke and people have proven Yahoo sells email addresses from mailing list subscribers.

I know a group of about 500 people that switched OFF of yahoo groups because they were sick of most of the above. Their members couldn't stop talking about how nice it was to be off Yahoo Groups :-)

At least from the outside, you guys seem to have a pretty good deal going here with the GNU foundation...and there is more to consider than just "it has low load and good bandwidth"(no offense meant to the gent who offered his system. It was nice of him to do so.) It is my advice that unless things get bad for more than a select few, stay put here...and if some people are having trouble that's the fault of the GNU listserver, work with the list and site admins on it.

Brett