[Mldonkey-users] Re: mailinglist-problems

From: Sven Hartge
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 19:36:10 +0100

Brett Dikeman <address@hidden> wrote:

> I know a group of about 500 people that switched OFF of yahoo groups
> because they were sick of most of the above.  Their members couldn't
> stop talking about how nice it was to be off Yahoo Groups :-)

And: Yahoo is far more slow than this list.

I had three YahooGroups, where delivery time was about a _day_ *at
best*, meaning the average delivery time was at about 2 days.

> It is my advice that unless things get bad for more than a select few,
> stay put here...and if some people are having trouble that's the fault
> of the GNU listserver, work with the list and site admins on it.

THe lists use Mailman, which, in its 2.0 version has some issues with
high traffic lists, as it only processes the mails in batchs every
minute. This can lead to high load peaks.

Mailman 2.1 is better, it uses its own daemon to process the mails as
soon as they arrive instead of relying on a cron-based batch processing.

This flattens the load peaks considerably.

Only problem with Mailman 2.1: It is not stable yet.

S°

--
BOFH excuse #267:

The UPS is on strike.