Re: [Mldonkey-users] Sharing for rare files....suggestion

From: Marc
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Sharing for rare files....suggestion
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:33:50 +0100

yup the idea is nice.
although i agree with Martin that removing other files from being shared is
quite dangerous..

as i said in my sharing priority post, a manual priority setting for shared
files, already makes a great difference.. i tested it on an emule client a
few days ago and it works perfect...

what could be done with your Rare_file_threshold is that mldonkey modifies
the priority of the files on its own..

but that would only be fair if each client had an accurate idea of the
network status for each file at any time..
When downloading files the client keeps asking for more source to download
from and thereby knows the popularity of files but what happens when the
file is downloaded ? does it keep asking the network how many sources are
available or can it only count the number of requests each file gets ?

anyway the requests counts could be usefull as well..
a ratio could be set using the requests counts of each file like this..

file 1 gets 500 requests per hour (16%)
file 2 gets 100 requests per hour (4%)
file 3 gets 2500 requests per hour (80%)

with a 20% level threshold (level 1 <20%, level2 <40% and so on), after one
hour
file 1 and file 2 would get priority level 1
file 3, priority level 4

using a slot ratio
file 1 & file 2 would get the same number of slots and file 3 would get 4
times less slots than 1 & 2

unfortunaltely that kind of statistics is greatly altered by the clients
behaviours as shown below with my current client_stats..

Total seens:               8259
                    eDonkey:               1961 (23.74 %)
               old mldonkey:                406 (4.92 %)
               new mldonkey:                288 (3.49 %)
                    Overnet:                 11 (0.13 %)
                  old eMule:                  0 (0.00 %)
                  new eMule:               5593 (67.72 %)
                     server:                  0 (0.00 %)

Total filerequests received:             174101
                    eDonkey:               3958 (2.27 %)
               old mldonkey:              78885 (45.31 %)
               new mldonkey:               9020 (5.18 %)
                    Overnet:                 37 (0.02 %)
                  old eMule:                  0 (0.00 %)
                  new eMule:              82201 (47.21 %)
                     server:                  0 (0.00 %)

5 % of the mld clients send 45% of the requests.. so another ratio should be
applied to have a fair figure of the actual number of clients requesting a
file...

this short on the fly analysis conforts me in the idea that a manual
priority setting for shared files is not such a bad idea and would be much
more easier to implement :)

Marc