RE: [Mldonkey-users] Sharing for rare files....suggestion

From: João Correia
Subject: RE: [Mldonkey-users] Sharing for rare files....suggestion
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 12:34:45 -0000

Hello all

        Let me try and defend my idea.

        Why I prefer mldonkey controlling the rare_file_threshold? Bias.
Human
options are biased. You may think the file is rare, but guess what?,
another
300 users out there have the same Uncle_Sam_In_The_Wild.avi shared.
        But not just for that. Imagine a file is well spread. Suddenly
two or
three of the mammoth servers go down. The file goes from 400+ sources to
10
or 20 sources. An automatic control would notice this and prioritize
this
file over others.

        I agree my suggestion has more "bandwith overhead" than yours,
but its
just a matter of checking for available sources every now and then.
(Doesn’t need to be anything like the files you are downloading. Maybe
once or twice per hour I think would do it - maybe an option?)

        Still, the rare_file_threshold would be an option. You would
still have "some" control over it. Although I must insist that any such
system
mainly controlled by us and not the mldonkey program are less than
optimal.
Please don't understand this as a machines-are-better-than-us thing, its
just that the program would be faster to analyze and maintain and adapt
source number changes in the network.

        By stopping the sharing, I was just merely suggesting an
alternative to prioritization. I admit stopping shares when they are too
spread is a bad
idea. They should just have fewer upload slots available.

        My two cents,
        Thank you for your time,
        Joao Correia