[Mldonkey-users] Re: Is MLDonkey taking over or stats broken?

From: Sven Hartge
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Is MLDonkey taking over or stats broken?
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 17:55:28 +0100

Logi <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Funny thing is, mldonkey seens are about 30-50% of my total seens. I
>> yesterday resetted my donkey after running for three days, and my
>> stats there where, that 55% of all seens (about 60000) clients where
>> mldonkey. As much as I like mldonkey, I can't believe that this is
>> real. Is maybe emule faking mldonkey-heritage? Or are the stats just
>> broken?

> I did notice the same a few days ago. I think the two most possible
> explanations are:
>
> a) Stats are broken

I don't know any OcaML and I did not look at the source, so my guess may
be _way_ of and totally bogus:

It seems like every new connection from or to an mldonkey client is
counted as a new seen client, so the stats rise and rise w/o being
accurate.

> b) A modified MLDonkey for queue-jumping

> As MLDonkey has no real upload queue queue-jumping can easily achieved
> by generating a new MD4 sum for each connection. MLDonkey then thinks
> this is a new client and you get that huge percentage of MLDonkeys.

Hmm, mldonkey is quite "closed source" because of the rather obscure
language used, so the number of people knowing enough OcaML and mldonkey
should be rather small and be mostly concentrated on this list here.

S°

--
BOFH excuse #210:

We didn't pay the Internet bill and it's been cut off.