[Mldonkey-users] Re: here's a guy that I stupidly offended because this

From: Sven Hartge
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: here's a guy that I stupidly offended because this wasn't clear
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 14:46:38 +0100

Stephane Goulet <address@hidden> wrote:

>> And Multicasting only makes sense, if you _exactly_ send the same data to
>> many peers, and by _exactly_ I mean the the same time the same data.

>> But since many peers request different chunks and even different
>> start-points inside one chunk, this ends up in Unicasts anyway.

> Aint some implementation possible?
>
> Lets say you have file verypopular.rar
> Lots of ppl waiting in queue for it
> Your client choses that it's popular enough
> Your client tells those waiting, be ready i'm gonna multicast to you
> verypopular.rar
> You begin streaming in a udp like form the data, others may join in the
> stream after
> And you stream a chunk, or more..

Right, this way mpeg is streamed. But this only makes sense for very
popular files, as you pointed out. But then this would be very
effective.

> What do you think of this?

Problem here: No ISP known to me provides access to the MBone service,
only the big ones like CW, WorldCom, etc. did and only at high fees or
bundled with a big pipe.

S°

--
142 Reasons, Why You Can't Find Your System Administrator
30. is playing netrek.