Re: [Mldonkey-users] Re: here's a guy that I stupidly offended because

From: Stephane Goulet
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Re: here's a guy that I stupidly offended because this wasn't clear
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 02:57:41 -0500

>And Multicasting only makes sense, if you _exactly_ send the same data to
>many peers, and by _exactly_ I mean the the same time the same data.

>But since many peers request different chunks and even different
>start-points inside one chunk, this ends up in Unicasts anyway.

Aint some implementation possible?

Lets say you have file verypopular.rar
Lots of ppl waiting in queue for it
Your client choses that it's popular enough
Your client tells those waiting, be ready i'm gonna multicast to you
verypopular.rar
You begin streaming in a udp like form the data, others may join in the
stream after
And you stream a chunk, or more..

Clients who missed packets only have a few holes to fill afterwards, and
"hole-filling" could be on a seperate queue in clients..
Something like this can somehow decuplate you upload rate for popular files.

I remember seeing specs for something like this in an exotic p2p application
in developpement somewhere...

What do you think of this?

-Stéphane