Re: [Mldonkey-users] New source management

From: Martin
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] New source management
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 22:30:42 +0100

Goswin Brederlow wrote...again pretty much....
> wh <address@hidden> writes:
> >    Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> >  >Lets throw in my 2 c of thougths:
> I know that anything *.dip.t-dialin.net is a dynamic IP. Its slow and
> it has a short lifetime. If I just found that source and a connect
> fails the source should be blacklisted for the next few hours. No
> sense trying it again. The user has gone offline or gotten a new ip.

whoa...one ste to far there...knowing its a *.dip.t-dialin.net needs a
dns-lookup! (which has to be done for all sources!)

If you look at your stats you see 3k+ sources in less that 2 hours!
this is a real bandwidth-killer!

> Ips not in that range are to be prefered. More important than an
> initial penalty is getting rid of those IPs once they fail to
> work. Its a waste of my bandwith trying and anoying to the next person
> getting that ip (unless hes a donkey user too :).

You would spend the bandwidth you saved with that on dns...
So i guess ip-ranges should be the better way...its not that difficult
to find the ip-ranges for most dialup-isps...

> >  >Additionally I think the penalty for a connection failure for known
> >  >dynamic IPs should be very high. Its quite unlikely that a dialin user

Guess you didnt know that but most of the donkey clients run on
dynamic ips....static ips are the minority...

> >  >has its donkey down for an hour and the start it up again. Its far
> >  >more likely he got a new IP.

Thats for sure...if hes offline the changes that he gets a new ip are
very high!

> A known dynamic IP thats older than 24h (or whatever the known
> turnaround time for that range is) should be disgarded. No sense
> trying to reach a *.dip.t-dialin.net client 24h since the ISP does a
> disconnect and new IP every 24h.

Ok. but 24 hours is not the standart worldwide....some countries
disconnect after 12 hours....

> > How does emule banning work? Does it ban for too frequently asking
> > sources at all or does it ban for too frequently asking per source
> No clue.

>From the mldonkey source:
- If a client asks for a file more often than 590 seconds, ie 10
  minutes,  it gets a BAD REQUEST
- If a client has 2 BAD REQUESTS, it get banned !

> Shouldn't overnet upload work in todays CVS + pango?

It does in current cvs - cant tell about the pango patches...

> What are those 81 banned? Did I bann them? Did they ban me?

No. You mldonkey did ban them ;)
Those emules were probably patched or misconfigured and had to be banned!