[Mldonkey-users] Source management in 2.02-4

From: Roland Arendes
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Source management in 2.02-4
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 12:52:29 +0100

hi mldonkey-users,

  2.02-4 is doing fine on a test machine for about 1 hour now. But I
  have to say, that the memory consumption bug is still not fixed.
  Using "sources" I can see that the New Sources-Queue is getting
  bigger and bigger.

  The same problem exists in the last versions (except some pangos).

  We're receiving more sources than we can ever check (with the
  max_sources_per_client setting and so on).

  This client is running for about 1 hour now:

Queue[Immediat clients]: 0 sources
Queue[Good clients]: 50 sources
Queue[Concurrent Sources]: 301 sources
Queue[Old sources]: 0 sources
Queue[New sources]: 57798 sources
Queue[sources]: 0 sources
Queue[Bad sources 1]: 121 sources
Queue[Bad sources 2]: 30 sources
Queue[Bad sources 3]: 0 sources
Queue[Bad sources 4]: 0 sources
Queue[Bad sources]: 0 sources

Total number of sources:58300

  Ok. We have 58300 clients waiting to get checked. Wow. This number
  keeps increasing quite fast.

  Is it possible to stop after a specific period of time (perhaps in
  conjunction with max_clients_per_second) source requests to servers?

  The pango-patch 20021213b for example, drops new sources. That
  killed the memory consumption problem, but it's not the optimal
  solution as we continue to query for sources but drop them
  afterwards.

  We already have enough sources to check and we can leave the servers
  alone for some time now (since we'll receive sources through
  mldonkey and emule client propagation anyway).

  Is this possible?
  Lets say, stop sources asking if New Sources > 5000?

  Other/better ideas anyone?

-roland