Re: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Sorting

From: Goswin Brederlow
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Sorting
Date: 22 Jan 2003 03:09:56 +0100

Frank Scherthan <address@hidden> writes:

> Sven Hartge wrote:
> >>*Now* i get it : you want realtime-download-list-refresh!
> > The list is refreshed in realtime, he (and I too) wants
> > realtime-sorting
>
> > of the download-list.
>
> With a big list of sources, the CPU load get really high. Implementing
> real-time sorting will even put more stress to the CPU. So real-time
> sorting should at least be an option to put it off for big
> sources-lists...

The list is sorted or nearly so. Changes to the sort order should be
minimal. One file one place up or down usually if at all.

So sorting the list would be simply a check if the file needs to be
moved when an update comes in from the core and then move it.

Just as comparison the cpu time used by mldonkey_gui:

mrvn      1180  1.2  2.5 25908 20000 pts/7   S    Jan16  98:29 mldonkey_gui

My file list is rather long with 649 Files and I resort it
frequently and I have an update interval of 1 second. Still the gui
only used 98 minutes cpu time in 6 days. Thats 1.1% cpu time on
average. I don't think we have to be over conservative about cpu tme
in the gui at the moment.

MfG
        Goswin