Re: [Mldonkey-users] MySQL

From: Michael Panteleit
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] MySQL
Date: 22 Jan 2003 21:28:41 +0100

Nikolai Prokoschenko <address@hidden> writes:

> It deals with storing much of MLDonkey's persistent data in a MySQL
> database (a patch was attached). I'd like to forward that discussion
> to this list and also express my opinion.

I guess I don't need MySQL. I'm not the popular-file-downloader, my
files tenths perhaps a few hundreds of sources and mldonkey never
needs more than 20-30 MB.

I really don't understand why (even with high popular files) anybody
needs thousands of sources. For me the direction mldonkey is
developing in the moment is wrong. Why not just getting 200-300 "good"
sources (sources with chunks we miss) and let time work?

Building large databases with "best" sources (everyone is then
flooding with requests) can't be the way to improve the network. It's
IMHO just shortsighted and egoistic.

Meikel