[Mldonkey-users] OT: P2P via SMTP and Open Relays

From: Christian Brandt
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] OT: P2P via SMTP and Open Relays
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 19:30:39 +0200

Am Samstag 05 April 2003 15:01 schrieben Sie:

> But the bottom line is: Forget using email for massive p2p. You can try
> of course, but don't say afterwards that nobody warned you.

 I can agree with many points of your statement. But not with all:

 Using unsafe Open-Relays seems like a "they asked to be used". The only
thing those lazy admins could do is securing their open relay and therefore
stopping P2P and Spam both at once.

 News are a permanent and global resource, massive BCC-EMail isn't. That
makes BCC-EMail harder to track and the participants harder to bother. Its
also more economic than classic/napstertype P2P for low- and
medium-counting releases. Besides, paying for a service like a binary-nntp
is getting way too commercial in my humble oppinion.

 But besides of that your points about nntp-services are totally correct,
they are even more efficient than BCC-EMail. Too bad there are no german
providers left offering *.binaries.*

> And yes, I administer several systems and some are mailservers. The
> first one I see using such a scheme looses his internet access on the
> very same day, no matter if he is on the sending or recieving side. That
> I promise.

 The first one who is missusing a relay run by a dangerous admin isn't
worth that the admin spits out his head after chewing on him. In other
words, compared with the content most people are distributing the way of
distributing it seems like a minor legal problem.

--
Christian Brandt

 life is short and in most cases it ends with death
 but my tombstone will carry the hiscore