Re: [Mldonkey-users] OT: P2P via SMTP and Open Relays

From: René Gallati
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] OT: P2P via SMTP and Open Relays
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 20:23:46 +0200

Hello,

 I can agree with many points of your statement. But not with all:

Using unsafe Open-Relays seems like a "they asked to be used". The only thing those lazy admins could do is securing their open relay and therefore stopping P2P and Spam both at once.

Yeah open mail relays are a problem, but they usually send "only" spam, not huge binary attachments. Also, it really depends where the relay is located. If someone spams in western europe, you can usually just report them to their ISP and they get nuked. Though luck trying the same with Asian-relays though. You can be happy if you get an answer and doubly so if that person speaks/writes halfway english.

However for the sake of the argument, most spam coming from asian countries can easily be filtered out by looking at the charset header field. Unfortunately more and more us/european spammers are actively looking for asian open relays since they are hard to get closed and they then (ab)use them.

News are a permanent and global resource, massive BCC-EMail isn't. That makes BCC-EMail harder to track and the participants harder to bother. Its

BCC is only invisible at the user-agent level. The mailserver knows exactly where the mail comes from and for whom it is. (otherwise it couldn't deliver it anyway...) Tracking the originator of a BCC'ed mail is easy - but only for the admin of the mailserver or someone who got access to that mailserver's logs.

also more economic than classic/napstertype P2P for low- and medium-counting releases. Besides, paying for a service like a binary-nntp is getting way too commercial in my humble oppinion.

Agreed. However, at the end you always pay *someone* - be that your ISP or your university for your Internet access.

The sheer amount of data on a full usenet feed (currently around 700GBytes/day) require quite some infrastructure which does cost. As comparison, non-binary usenet (text-only) is about 2GBytes/day currently.

But besides of that your points about nntp-services are totally correct, they are even more efficient than BCC-EMail. Too bad there are no german providers left offering *.binaries.*

But there are! http://www.premium-news.com/index.html is one. Dunno about others. But why has it to be a german NSP? The Internet is global, you know and as long as your latency is not above 500ms, you'll usually get great speed to the NSPs.

And yes, I administer several systems and some are mailservers. The
first one I see using such a scheme looses his internet access on the
very same day, no matter if he is on the sending or recieving side. That
I promise.

The first one who is missusing a relay run by a dangerous admin isn't worth that the admin spits out his head after chewing on him. In other words, compared with the content most people are distributing the way of distributing it seems like a minor legal problem.

Its not that I hate the user personally, its just that such a thing causes severe service degradation for everyone else - which is simply untolerable. There is a huge difference if I get a few 100KB of spam mails or if I get a few hundred Megabytes binary attachments. Bandwith is not even the main problem, the I/O load on the machines is. A normal mail (be that spam or not) fits perfectly into ram, gets processed and saved or sent on. A big mail with attachment has a much higher chance to get swapped/spooled. If many big mails need to be processed your system falls in constant swapping state, which stalls any access to it.