Re: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Mldonkey and anonymity

From: b8_bavard
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Mldonkey and anonymity
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 10:11:26 +0200

>  Vulnerability Overview
>  ----------------------
>  There exists a vulnerability in the FastTrack network
>  core that can be used by an attacker to take control
>  of all FastTrack network supernodes. The attacker can
>  either crash all supernodes or insert arbitrary code
>  in each supernode's address space. Crashing all
>  supernodes means that no-one can search for files on
>  the FT network or connect to the FT network.
>
>  More on BugTraq...

We are aware of this problem, and working on... no, I'm joking, one of
the main advantages of using Objective-Caml, as I said in a previous
mail, is that all attacks based on buffer overflows are completely
useless on MLdonkey. Moreover, contrary to most C implementations,
where the messages are directly used as C structs, MLdonkey translates
everything, mainly to avoid problems with littleEndian/bigEndian, but
also because messages are easier to manipulate when thanslated in
Objective-Caml types.

- b8_bavard (mldonkey)
Homepage: http://www.mldonkey.net/