Re: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Questions of bug #7763

From: Martin Scheffler
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Questions of bug #7763
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:52:03 +0200

Am Sunday, 22. August 2004 16:13 schrieb Xan:
> Yes. Confirmed. It's a bug of SpeedStream 5660 NAPT table. I buy
> another router (USRobotics 9103) and all works fine. I have pain for my
> wonder SS5660. It were a good router. Pain of this bug!!!
>
> Thank you spiralvoice. Can you submit an explanation about the causes
> and solutions of the bug?

These crappy routers have a very limited NAT table.
Let's say 100 entries. When your computer tries to open more than 100
conntections, the router rejects connections or even crashes (if the
firmware is really braindead).
The only solution is a firmware-update for the router - if the
manufacturer is so kind to fix this bug (try to mail them).

More than 100 simultaneous connections is very common these days with P2P
applications. Especially EDonkey, Kazaa, Freenet and others hold many
TCP-channels. The Overnet protocol uses connectionless UDP datagrams for
negotiation and TCP for the file transfers only, thus reducing the number
of TCP connections needed.

good byte