nano-devel

Re: packaging nano with a skeleton nanorc file

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: packaging nano with a skeleton nanorc file
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 09:55:09 +0200

Op 14-09-2020 om 12:56 schreef Kamil Dudka:
> Syntax highlighting is not the only uncommented line in /etc/nanorc on
> Fedora.
> It also sets the spell checker program:
>
>     https://bugzilla.redhat.com/681000

Since version 4.6 'hunspell' is the default internal spell checker:

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/nano.git/commit/?id=4d77e0ad

(This uses 'hunspell' to create a list of misspelled words and then lets the
user correct each of them in turn.  Setting 'speller' uses the given program
as an external checker: the correcting is done in that program too.  I notice,
though, that 'hunspell' touches the temporary file even when zero changes were
made, resulting that nano marks the buffer as "Modified".  :|  For example,
'aspell' doesn't do this.)

> I do not think we want to discourage users from configuring anything
> globally.
> We should just give them an option to skip the global configuration if needed.

The only mechanism we have for that is -f: 'nano -f /home/user/somefile' will
not read /etc/nanorc nor /home/user/.nanorc, but just the indicated file.  So,
if the user wants the global /etc/nanorc to always be skipped, they could do:

  alias nano="/bin/nano -f /home/user/.nanorc"

Benno