nss-mysql-users

Re: [Nss-mysql-users] nss-mysql-root.conf

From: Jason Clifford
Subject: Re: [Nss-mysql-users] nss-mysql-root.conf
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 20:12:17 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Nick De Decker wrote:

> i can login to the nss_mysql db with user nss-shadow from localhost and pass
> "testing"
> there i can select columns: status,user_id, user_name, password, lastchange,
> min, max, warn, inact, expire.
>
> So i guess this must be ok, right ?
>
> Any tips :)

At a command prompt - note NOT a mysql prompt - try querying the shadow
database like so:

root:# getent shadow

obviously you will need to either su to root or use sudo to gain the
privileges to run the process as uid 0.

You should get a full listing of the shadow db for both /etc/shadow
entries and nss-mysql entries. That will confirm that you system is able
to resolve shadow entries via nss-mysql or not.

If you are able to resolve mysql shadow entries via nss then I'd suggest
that you check your ssh configuration (and PAM if you are using it) for
any extra requirements that would only be met for entries that are
literally located in /etc/passwd.

You're not requring the user to be a member of any particular system group
for ssh access are you?

I tested it here with OpenSSH 3.1p1 from Red Hat 7.3 using a user account
that exists only in the mysql table and it works beautifully.

Jason Clifford