nss-mysql-users

RE: [Nss-mysql-users] getent passwd and logging not working

From: Andreas J. Guelzow
Subject: RE: [Nss-mysql-users] getent passwd and logging not working
Date: 19 Aug 2003 23:03:26 -0600

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 17:54, Nathan Martinez wrote:
> I looked at my /etc/syslog.conf file and it had the following line:
> authpriv.*                 /var/log/secure
>
> I changed it to:
> auth,authpriv.*                 /var/log/secure
>
> and then restarted syslog.  I still did not get any log entries when I
>  issued a getent passwd.  It still stalls after the last user from the
>  passwd file is listed.
>
> I recompiled without the --enable-debug and I was able to successfully
>  issue a getent passwd/shadow/group.  It shows me all of the users in
>  the passwd file and then in the DB.  However, if I try to log into the
>  console using either a user from the passwd file or the DB, the login
>  fails (after a long timeout).

I encountered the same problem. Some observations:

When I removed mysql rom the group line in nsswitch.conf, then logins by
users from the passwd file on the console (such as root) succeeded.

The problem seemed to be related to the version of libc6 since it
occurred when I updated my debian sid installation which included an
upgrade of libc6 from 2.3.1 to 2.3.2. (But there were many other
packages that were also upgraded.) The problem dissappeared when I
reverted. (All this without touching the mysql server.)

Andreas