nss-mysql-users

Re: [Nss-mysql-users] nss-mysql on debian stable

From: Mario Ohnewald
Subject: Re: [Nss-mysql-users] nss-mysql on debian stable
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:48:49 +0100

Enrico Neidt wrote:

Mario Ohnewald schrieb:

Hello List.
I hope still are still somehow subscribed to it, since it looks dead :P

I have install ed libnss-mysql (0.35-1) and edited /etc/nss-mysql-root.conf and /etc/nss-mysql.conf
Then i have adjusted nsswitch.conf:
passwd:         compat mysql
group:          compat mysql
shadow:         compat mysql

But if i try to su, ssh, or id to a user, then it doesnt work.
Not errors in syslog, messages or any mysql traffic on my interface.

as far as i know libnss mysql is not responsible for authorization. PAM does auth users. libnss mysql handels group relations and resolves uid's to usernames, same with group names. if you want to auth users with mysql, you need pam_mysql. i am not sure if the project is still alive. i found an old version somewhere and fixed some bugs, just for me. all in one, you need pam_mysql and libnss to auth users and let them work on your system.

I dont know what i did, but it started to talk to auth.log now :)
I get this error:
nss-mysql[24100]: setent(1): mysql_query failed: Access denied for user: 'address@hidden' to database 'nss_mysql'

i ran tcpdump port 3306 on interface lo and eth0, but there is no mysql traffic. I am wondering where it tries to connect to. in both configs (/etc/nss-mysql.conf and /etc/nss-mysql-root.conf) the mysql host is set to (modified ip):
 users.host = 123.123.123.123;

Thanks for your quick replies!!

Mario