[Octal-dev] OCTAL and literate programming

From: Dave O'Toole
Subject: [Octal-dev] OCTAL and literate programming
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 16:48:08 -0400

I'm writing a very "low-commitment" literate programming tool. (see
literateprogramming.com if you haven't heard of it.) It's written so
that you *don't* need to process the source files just to compile them;
you need only filter them when making a TeX file. I'm planning to try it
out with some new OCTAL sources. Especially considering the amount of
math involved in some machines, being able to use TeX to typeset the
formulas and illustrate algorithms will be a great boon to both ours and
others' understanding. If this project is to become a resource for DSP
code and learning (which I hope happens) the use of literate programming
would pretty much take care of it, as people will then be able to turn
all of OCTAL into a printed, documented book.

There's only three commands in this litprog system, as it's supposed to
be *very* simple and easy to learn. Of course, if you don't know TeX
already, of course it becomes more, but it doesn't take much to just
typeset plain words with TeX.

The question is

"is anybody interested?"

I have some preliminary docs (but oddly enough, no program!! :-) if
anyone wants to see.

--
@@@ david o'toole
@@@ address@hidden