Re: unix pipes for front <--> back end interface?

From: Knos
Subject: Re: unix pipes for front <--> back end interface?
Date: Mon Oct 30 12:06:01 2000

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:53:07 -0500
David O'Toole <address@hidden> wrote:

> >     Hi,
> >             Will the next octal alpha release include the gtk
> > frontend? I am very interested in a console based skin. Will be the octal
> > core WELL separated from frontend? (afaik, David mentioned the use of
> > unix pipes...)
> >     I think it is a very important aproach for gnu octal.
> >

> Yes, I will include at least one of the "work windows" (a la gimp) in
> the next release. The frontend and backend are in separate threads
> communicating via pipes, so the only restrictions are:
>
> 1. they need to be compiled together
> 2. they need some of the same header files

btw have you checked once PureData? It's a visual programming
language for audio and midi, an evolution of MAX,
it's not what octal is about, as it takes an exhaustive
approach but it solves the same challenges and problems than
octal will/have to solve.

In pd you have the engine communicating with the interface thru a socket,
currently the interface has been implemented in Tk, but already appeared a
Gtk+ interface, and even a no-interface interface :)

http://iem.mhsg.ac.at/pd/,
http://www.crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/

-Nicolas Leveille (Knos)