Re[2]: Re:sampler

From: ccastiglione
Subject: Re[2]: Re:sampler
Date: Tue Mar 13 14:30:01 2001

[DTO]
>a sample and instrument have an integer ID, and switching between modes
>will turn on the extra features? How do you all feel about that.

I think it makes a lot of sense!  Depending on how the mode flag is set, the
same ID would refer either to an entry in the wave table or instrument table.
The instrument table itself could contain note-mapped references to more than
one wave, if the user wants to set it up that way.

That way you can do simple things simply, and work your way into more complex
setups when you feel ready.

> We can choose the wave either by its ID, or choose an instrument by a
> function accepting note and velocity info that can actually select other
> waves with different info.

Woah -- velocity-switchable, as well!  Good one...a lot of hardware samplers let
you do this kind of thing, so why not?!

>> [Buzz] allows you to specify a separate envelope PER waveform PER
>> machine PER env-controllable attribute!
>> Only attributes for loaded machines which support envelopes show up in
>> the list.

>Wow, I didn't know that's how it worked. I've never been able to figure
>out what all the controls do on that page, other than volume envelopes
>and loop points. Neat.

I only figured it out myself a few weeks ago -- Matilde Tracker for example lets
you define pan, volume, or filter envelopes, whereas Jeskola Tracker only allows
volume env's, and Whitenoise's Looper machines have yet other env stuff I
haven't played with.

It's an incredibly flexible architecture, but the interface doesn't make that at
all obvious.  You have to go into the wavetable screen after loading multiple
machines with env support and mess around for a while even to have a chance of
noticing.

>Yeah. I should really talk to luka and put together a little blurb about
>what his Gearlib idea is supposed to be. Basically a library of common
>DSP functions and stuff

Oh -- I think you just answered my weird Csound gen / ftable question too.
Gearlib, mmmm...tastes like chicken. :)

chris/hex/<uku>