Re: benchmarks - sort

From: taltman
Subject: Re: benchmarks - sort
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:51:10 +0000 (UTC)

The Scheme Library has a nice solution for merge-sort functionality:

SLIB
http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/slib_7.html#SEC199

You use it like this:

guile> (sort (list 3 3 8 1 9 4) <)
(1 3 3 4 8 9)

So, 'sort' is a function that accepts two arguments: the first one is
the list ( or, in Octave's case, a one-dimensional array/cell-array ),
and a function which tells the sorting function how to compare two
objects.

By passing the comparison function to the sort algorithm, it allows
sort to be generic; any data structure that an end-user might have to
work with can be sorted, provided that they make a simple predicate
function that can compare any two of them.

I imagine that this can be accomplished in Octave via function
handles, no?

Just my $0.02,

~Tomer