Re: Octave 5.2.0 release

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: Octave 5.2.0 release
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 11:56:49 +0900

On 1/17/20 11:14 AM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

>     One thing you can try is running the commands from the wiki example
>     (there I recently figured out how to test 64-bit indexing with only 8 GB
>     main memory available):
>

> is there any kind of 'is compiled with 64bit indexing' flag such that a
> test could be written where if true it runs a quick:
>
>>> a = zeros (1024*1024*1024*3, 1, 'int8');
>
> during the test suite?

Since Octave 4.4 64-bit indexing is default.  Only the BLAS,
SuiteSparse, integer index size is not 64-bit by default.

Thus

   __octave_config_info__ ("ENABLE_64")

should always be true = "1".  In "octave-config.h" which is installed
with Octave you can read the byte size of the respective integer types.
 In case of w64-64 this should be:

   #  define OCTAVE_SIZEOF_F77_INT_TYPE 8
   #  define OCTAVE_SIZEOF_IDX_TYPE 8

But I don't know how to conveniently read those values from within Octave.

On the other hand, I do not like main memory extensive tests without
warning/cancel button before freezing my system in swapping.  Your test
requires 3 GB main memory and should be trivial for a default Octave
installation.

What kind of regressions do you expect to test with this test?

Kai