Re: Octave 5.2.0 release

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave 5.2.0 release
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 09:59:35 -0600

On 1/16/20 8:14 PM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

    One thing you can try is running the commands from the wiki example
    (there I recently figured out how to test 64-bit indexing with only 8 GB
    main memory available):

is there any kind of 'is compiled with 64bit indexing'

We have a way to detect that:

  __octave_config_info__ ("ENABLE_64")

By default, that is true on a systems that have 64-bit pointers (so it will be true for both the w64 and w64-64 Windows builds).

But having 64-bit indexing for arrays is separate from having the Fortran libraries (BLAS, LAPACK, QUADPACK, DASSL, DASRT, DASPK, LSODE) and other code that depends on them like SuiteSparse, built with 64-bit integers for indexing. On most modern systems, the Fortran INTEGER data type is a signed 32-bit integer. This is true for Windows and Linux by default. The w64-64 Windows build uses an option to enable 64-bit Fortran INTEGERS when building these libraries.

It looks like we currently don't have anything in __octave_config_info__ to indicate that Octave was compiled to expect and use 64-bit Fortran integers but we should be able to easily add something based on the OCTAVE_SIZEOF_F77_INT_TYPE found in config.h.

flag such that a test could be written where if true it runs a quick:

 >> a = zeros (1024*1024*1024*3, 1, 'int8');

during the test suite?

That should work on any 64-bit system unless you specifically disable 64-bit indexing.