Re: Octave 5.2.0 release

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: Octave 5.2.0 release
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2020 09:10:24 +0900

On 2/1/20 7:32 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> I was curious to see what differences there would be if I ran "make
> dist" to build the source tarballs.  There are a number of differences
> because we used different versions of tools (autotools, bison, flex,
> texinfo, etc.).  I don't think those differences are too important.  I
> also see that the figures in your dist files were generated by gnuplot
> and mine were made with gl2ps.  Was that intentional?  Is it what we want?
>
> jwe

That's true.  I think some sort of reproducibility was nice.  My
favorite solution was to have some specified build and test environment
(Maybe some VM image / specification of installed packages only) for
Octave releases.

I am not too much into plotting.  Maybe I need some explanation here:

- I installed all qt tools, fltk and gnuplot [1, configure section]
which are all detected.

- On my OpenSUSE 15.1 desktop with active x session, I get for octave-cli:

   >> available_graphics_toolkits() --> {fltk, gnuplot}

and inside the GUI and the qt command line version of Octave:

   >> available_graphics_toolkits() --> {fltk, gnuplot, qt}

On my build server (without X session and inside a "GNU Screen version
4.06.02" session), when I started the build version, I get for
"./run-octave", which starts the GUI version

   octave: X11 DISPLAY environment variable not set
   octave: disabling GUI features
   >> available_graphics_toolkits() --> {gnuplot}

Is there the root of that problem, that you build the distribution
tarball on our desktop?

Kai

[1] https://octave.space/stable_eb46a9f47164/build.log.html