Re: Octave 5.2.0 release

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave 5.2.0 release
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 16:25:09 -0800

On Sat, Feb 01, 2020 at 09:10:24 +0900, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
> That's true.  I think some sort of reproducibility was nice.  My
> favorite solution was to have some specified build and test environment
> (Maybe some VM image / specification of installed packages only) for
> Octave releases.

Agree, and would be nice if that environment included all of the latest
GNU toolchains and utilities (built from source if necessary).

> On my build server (without X session and inside a "GNU Screen version
> 4.06.02" session), when I started the build version, I get for
> "./run-octave", which starts the GUI version
>
>    octave: X11 DISPLAY environment variable not set
>    octave: disabling GUI features
>    >> available_graphics_toolkits() --> {gnuplot}
>
> Is there the root of that problem, that you build the distribution
> tarball on our desktop?

Yes, that's it. On the build server, can you try running with Xvfb if
you have that available? For example

    xvfb-run -a octave --eval "available_graphics_toolkits ()"
    xvfb-run -a make all  ## to build doc/interpreter images

--
mike