Re: Octave 5.2.0 release

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: Octave 5.2.0 release
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2020 09:41:11 +0900

On 2/1/20 9:25 AM, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 01, 2020 at 09:10:24 +0900, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
>> That's true.  I think some sort of reproducibility was nice.  My
>> favorite solution was to have some specified build and test environment
>> (Maybe some VM image / specification of installed packages only) for
>> Octave releases.
>
> Agree, and would be nice if that environment included all of the latest
> GNU toolchains and utilities (built from source if necessary).
>
>> On my build server (without X session and inside a "GNU Screen version
>> 4.06.02" session), when I started the build version, I get for
>> "./run-octave", which starts the GUI version
>>
>>    octave: X11 DISPLAY environment variable not set
>>    octave: disabling GUI features
>>    >> available_graphics_toolkits() --> {gnuplot}
>>
>> Is there the root of that problem, that you build the distribution
>> tarball on our desktop?
>
> Yes, that's it. On the build server, can you try running with Xvfb if
> you have that available? For example
>
>     xvfb-run -a octave --eval "available_graphics_toolkits ()"
>     xvfb-run -a make all  ## to build doc/interpreter images

Thanks for the hint Mike.

$ xvfb-run -a ./run-octave --eval "available_graphics_toolkits ()"
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to create any config
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to create any config
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to create any config
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to create any config
ans =
{
  [1,1] = fltk
  [1,2] = gnuplot
  [1,3] = qt
}

$ ./run-octave --eval "available_graphics_toolkits ()"
octave: X11 DISPLAY environment variable not set
octave: disabling GUI features
ans =
{
  [1,1] = gnuplot
}

Thus I should replace all "make" by "xvfb-run -a make" even for the MXE
builds?

As solution, I suggest, jwe, we should publish your tarballs with nicer
pictures today to keep the release date.

I restart my builds from scratch and upload asap.  For anyone who cannot
wait another day for the Windows installers, can refer to
https://octave.space for almost nice builds.

Kai