Re: Gsoc 2020 Idea Discussion

From: Matthias W. Klein
Subject: Re: Gsoc 2020 Idea Discussion
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 22:57:27 +0100

On 25.02.20 18:12, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 2/25/20 9:53 AM, Atharva Dubey wrote:

Therefore I thought giving Cuda support to octave would be nice.

It would be better to have free software that allows us to work with
this class of specialized hardware.

Please share your thoughts on it.

I recommend that you begin by reading the "Combining work with code
released under the GNU licenses" section of the GPL FAQ.

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html

jwe

I am also not a lawyer and cannot discuss licensing.

Concerning the use of accellerating hardware, an existing free standard
is OpenCL [1].  As of 2020, there are various free and open source
implementations of the OpenCL standard around [2]. Besides them, there
are many proprietary ones, including Nvidia/Cuda ones.

As of end of last January, the ocl package [3] is part of octave forge.
It provides a (limited) support for OpenCL in octave.  The user can
choose which of the above mentioned implementations to (manually install
and) use with ocl.

I have been using the ocl package also with Nvidia GPU hardware.

@Atharva: This post only concerns the hardware backend.  However, you
might want to consider if your ML/DL development in octave may be suited
to be based on an existing (but rather new) octave package.

Best,
Matt

[1] https://www.khronos.org/opencl/
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCL#Open_Source_implementations