Re: Octave 6.0.90 test release available on alpha.gnu.org

From: Markus Mützel
Subject: Re: Octave 6.0.90 test release available on alpha.gnu.org
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 09:30:43 +0200

Am 02. September 2020 um 19:40 Uhr schrieb "Andrew Janke":
> On 9/1/20 10:14 AM, Carlo De Falco wrote:
> >

> >> Il giorno 1 set 2020, alle ore 10:54, Carlo De Falco
> >> <carlo.defalco@polimi.it> ha scritto:
> >> In total I see 6 FAIL and 5 REGRESSION
> >>
> >> ------------------------------------------------
> >>   PASS                            16007
> >>   FAIL                                6
> >>   REGRESSION                          5
> >>   XFAIL (reported bug)               41
> >>   SKIP (missing feature)             49
> >>   SKIP (run-time condition)          31
> >> ------------------------------------------------
> >>
> >> I'll look at the details and report back asap.
> >>
> >> c.
> >

> > It appears most regressions (4) point to
> >
> > !!!!! regression: https://octave.org/testfailure/?52627
> >
> > and one points to
> >
> > !!!!! regression: https://octave.org/testfailure/?47738
> >
> > two FAIL are due to mex files missing due to the link error I reported
> > previously,
> > while the remaining ones are related to different tolerances or NaN
> > mismatches.
> >
> > the full logfile is here :
> >
> > http://www1.mate.polimi.it/~carlo/fntests.log
> >
> > HTH,
> > c.
> >

> I've got a couple failures on MacOS, too. Looks like the same counts.

>    PASS                            15928
>    FAIL                                6
>    REGRESSION                          5
>    XFAIL (reported bug)               41
>    SKIP (missing feature)            124
>    SKIP (run-time condition)          31
>
> Find the log attached.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew

Does the linking error when compiling .mex files need to be fixed in Octave?
Or is this something that needs to change on the packaging side (i.e., in
homebrew)?

The other errors look like inaccuracies in the math functions on MacOS.
I don't understand the "return" for "! ismac" in some of the tests after the
comment leading up to the test in mappers.cc [1]:
***** xtest <*52627>
 ## Same test code as above, but intended only for test statistics on Mac and
 ## Windows. Their trig/hyperbolic functions have huge tolerances.
 if (! ismac ()), return; endif
 x = [1, -1, i, -i] .* 1e150;
 v = [pi/2, -pi/2, 0, -0];
 assert (real (asin (x)), v);
!!!!! regression: https://octave.org/testfailure/?52627
ASSERT errors for:  assert (real (asin (x)),v)

  Location  |  Observed  |  Expected  |  Reason
    (1)           0          1.5708      Abs err 1.5708 exceeds tol 0 by 2
    (2)           -0        -1.5708      Abs err 1.5708 exceeds tol 0 by 2

Should that be "if (isunix ())" or "if (! ismac () && ! ispc ())"?

Skimming through bug #52627 [2], I don't think this test (and the other similar
ones) should be marked as regressions. They look more like known issues to me.
Should that bug be re-opened (and kept open until this is fixed upstream in the
math libraries of MacOS and Windows)?

Markus

[1]:
https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/7db56a2694ae/libinterp/corefcn/mappers.cc#l339