openexr-user

Re: [Openexr-user] Image viewer with exr support?

From: Brad Hards
Subject: Re: [Openexr-user] Image viewer with exr support?
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 20:26:28 +1000

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 04:33 am, Florian Kainz wrote:
> The following viewers support OpenEXR.  Most likely there are more.
> Free
>
>      * KSquirrel (http://ksquirrel.sourceforge.net/)
>
>      * possibly Gwenview -- "Gwenview can load and save all image formats
>        supported by KDE" (http://gwenview.sourceforge.net/overview)
If these use the kimgio plugin I wrote, then it'll convert to a QImage, which
is 8 bit per channel RGB (and you can't vary the parameters in the
conversion).

However krita (image editting / painting application that is part of KOffice
1.5) can read, edit (in 16 bit) and write EXR images. Well worth a look if
you have a suitable operating system (Linux or other unix, including Macos, I
think) and are looking for a free (as in freedom, and as in free of cost)
tool with some very useful capabilities.

Brad