openexr-user

Re: [Openexr-user] Photoshop Plugin importing as RGB/16 bit

From: Florian Kainz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-user] Photoshop Plugin importing as RGB/16 bit
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 19:30:46 -0700

Ray,

I would recommend using fnordware's ProEXR plugin.

Florian

address@hidden wrote:
I'm working on a project that is rendering 32bit floating bit EXR files out of
3DStudio.  I'm then compiling these frames in After Effects in a 32 bit
floating point composite and it's all working fine.  The problem I'm having is
that I also need to composite some scenes in Photoshop CS4, and the default
Photoshop EXR plugin is tossing out any data from the image that has a
transparent alpha.  I found the Photoshop plugin on the OpenEXR website and had
hopes that it would do what I needed.  Thankfully it knows how to handle the
alpha channel properly, but unfortunately the plugin imports the image into a
16bit integer document and any value above 1.0 is clipped.  I can't use the
exposure adjustment to access the over bright details.  Because of these import
problems I have to run each image through After Effects and do the exposure
processing there, then export an image to Photoshop.

Can the maintainer of the OpenEXR photoshop plugin please recompile a new
version that imports images into a 32bit document and maintain the full color
range, or provide exposure controls in the plugin?  Also, I could use a 64bit
version of the plugin for the 64bit version of Photoshop.

Thanks,
  Ray Collett