openexr-user

Re: [Openexr-user] Photoshop Plugin importing as RGB/16 bit

From: ray
Subject: Re: [Openexr-user] Photoshop Plugin importing as RGB/16 bit
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 21:26:02 -0500 (CDT)

Chris,
I did read the thread.  Every message.  I may not of agreed with everything I read, but I read it.  I'm not even talking about the pre-multiplication issue.  I can save out an image from my 3D package with AND without the pre-multiplication checkbox checked, and photoshop makes the parts of my image with zero alpha completly transparent and I can not find a way around that without resorting to using another piece of software.  It's just that simple.

You say I'm making a mistake.  You say I'm wanting to change existing workflows.  The upgrade from CS2 to CS3 broke our workflow.  We used to be able to open EXRs and have the alpha show up as a sepperate channel and then CS3 broke that.  Who's breaking workflows?  (off topic, but CS4 broke another of our workflows...  We want the File->Automate->PDF Presentation back!!!  The PDF maker in Bridge CS4 does not cut it.)

I'm fine if you leave the current EXR import in CS4 as the default beheivor.  What I want, and what a lot of other people want, is an option somewhere that changes that beheivor.  We relize that it's not per the standard.  We know that it violates your interpretation of how it should be.  But can't Photoshop be flexable enough to help out everyone?  Can't there be an option burried in the Prefrences, an ini file, a registery flag, something that can allow us users to make Photoshop fit the workflow that WE decide to use, be it "right" or "wrong"?

I did see the mention of the super secret, NDA only work to edit the transparency channel.  I think that this is a good thing and I look forward to being able to use it, but if the alpha is zero, and you have not kept any of the RGB information, then it sounds like the transparency editor will only allow us to access the RGB values for transparency values > 0.0.  Is this correct?

Ray