pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Saving articles

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Saving articles
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 20:52:50 -0500

Christophe,

> > I select an article (it is highlighted in dark blue upper right quadrant
> > and displayed so I can read it lower right quadrant), and then enter
> > Ctl-s. The Save Attachments As... dialog pops up. Since the message
> > has no attachments, nothing gets saved.
>
> The dialog's title is a little confusing (not to say: wrong :-)).
>
> If you look closer at the dialog, you'll see a section 'Article Text'.
> It defaults to 'Don't Save Article Text', but if you select one of the
> other options (which specify the destination filename), the article's
> text will be saved to that filename.

Thanks for the reply, but I fear there's more to it than this.

For example, if I enter "Save Attachments Only," no dialog pops up at
all. Is this because I'm trying it on message without attachments? I
suspect not, and thus there's a problem there, too.

Since there is an option to save attachments, to see the Save
Attachments dialog pop up when you try to save a message is at best
disconcerting. I assume this is what you meant.

I realized that "Don't Save Article Text" was not a good way to save
an an article text, and so have been selecting instead "Use Subject"
on the assumption that the file name would be the string found on the
Subject: line. That did not work, however. I also tried "Use Custom
Filename," and that did not work either. That is, no file showed up
with that custom name in the directory specified in the "Location"
field near the top of the dialog. I also tried "add to front of queue"
(not sure what queue is being talked about), but that didn't help
either.

My impulse is simply to upgrade to a newer version of pan either
because I've stumbled on a bug that has been fixed or my copy of pan
somehow got broken. However, I hate leaving questions unresolved. I'll
do what you suggest.

Haines